Friday, October 14, 2011

PMS Beast and Other Scary Halloween Monsters


For me, PMS isn’t always bad, but when it is, it’s BAD. 

Today is one of those days for me when every sound and every word spoken (especially by men) is going right to that single nerve I have left and jumping on it. I hear things coming out of my mouth that my internal, rational voice is saying, “Wow, that’s pretty bitchy,” but that it has no power whatsoever to stop. I’ve apologized in advance to my partner who smiles quietly and passes the chocolate. There is a part of me, frankly, that’s offended by the passing of the chocolate, as others diagnosing PMS is a surefire way to have its full wrath descend upon you, but, on the other hand my body is screaming for it so I take it, grateful but with premestrually glaring eyes. 

A biology major friend of mine once explained to me that PMS results from a severe and sudden drop in hormone levels, so what we’re feeling is very much akin to drug withdrawal, or, being a smoker, I can relate it more effectively to the world’s worst nic fit--with cramps!

In that vein, I offer the following video which pretty much expresses how I would be feeling today if I were a tiny kitten:


Here's to a better, more hormonally balanced tomorrow,

3 comments:

  1. Well I know how you feel I get this every month unfortunately, I hate feeling that way, that is why Pamprin is my best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that cat the other day and loved it. I have a friend currently trying to quit smoking so it was especially appropriated for him! Right now I breastfeed so luckily I haven't gotten AF back. But even when I did have AF I didn't get PMS very bad. Maybe on day of being slightly irritable. Though there were the rare occasions where it was worse in which case I felt like this. :-)

    http://easegill.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/pm-5.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing is, I didn't used to get it this bad until I moved in with my partner. Can't quite figure out if it is over exposure to outside testosterone or what. :)

    Fortunately though, I do always apologize so I hope that makes us even.

    ReplyDelete